Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Phantom of the Opera is there...inside your mind...

So, first things first. Uncle Mike came in Tuesday afternoon and we all visited, shared pictures and videos and later went to dinner. It was great seeing him again. Then Wed morning I worked until it was time for....Phantom!

We had a little trouble finding the theatre cause we had shitty directions, but thankfully a call to a friend's mom who knew where it was set us straight. (T, thank your mom for us again!) We found it successfully after that and now we know where to go next time! We had seats up in the middle balcony but we took our sweet time getting there because the theatre is just so beautiful.

When we got to our seats, we had a pretty good view. Unfortunately there was a lady two rows down from me with really big poofy hair and I thought she would block the middle of the stage for the whole performance, but luckily she leaned back in her seat during most of the play (at other points she liked to scoot around which would block my view for a moment) Other than than, I saw it pretty well.

The play was absolutely amazing. Magic of the stage indeed! Everything was just so seamless and well done. All the parts were amazingly cast. Madame Giry was awesome, I was glad there seemed to be a little more of her in the play than there was in the movie. Meg was delightful, Carlotta a perfect diva with her airs and hard on the ears singing. Piangi (did I spell that right?) was ten times better than in the movie, Messers. Andre and Firmin were awesome, they are my favorite characters (besides the Phantom, of course) Raoul was twenty times better than that twerp they cast in the movie (he sang amazingly). Christine did a good job, but sometimes her singing got a little bit much for me. Maybe in a few years she'll go to Carlotta's role! And the Phantom! T, he was awesome. He was perfect. Marvelous! So much better than the movie. I mean, Gerard Butler is sexy and all, but he didn't quite have the voice for it. This guy, I wish he was on my soundtrack. When they came out for curtain call, everybody clapped for their favorite, but nobody stood up until he came out.

Phantom - John Cudia
Christine - Marie Danvers
Raoul - Adam Monley
Carlotta - Kim Stengel
Andre - D. C. Anderson
Firmin - Bruce Winant
Madame Giry - Patti Davidson-Gorbea
Piangi - Sal Sabella (I think, because there was a cast change)
Meg Giry - Joelle Gates

Edit - Thanks for correct my spelling, Jess

4 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

The plural for Mr is Messrs. Not Mrs. That's a whole other ball of wax. :P

11:12 AM  
Blogger T said...

I believe DC Anderson did Andre when we went a couple years ago. He was great!

I wish I could have heard John Cudia as the Phantom! I liked Ted Keegan (currently in the ensemble, I think, in the Las Vegas cast) when he did Phantom a couple years ago. Did Jess say whether or not John was better than Ted?

Glad you had a great time!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

T,

Ted Keegan is the best Phantom ever. Ever.

EVER.

11:19 PM  
Blogger T said...

Saw the show Saturday, and it was awesome!

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home